Learn about our six lodges in New Jersey and Puerto Rico.
Japeechen Lodge 341 (Jersey Shore Council)
Japeechen Lodge 341 of the Order of the Arrow was first chartered to the newly formed Jersey Shore Council, Boy Scouts of America, on January 1, 1993. To search out the history of this infant lodge, young braves must first look at two great past lodges, Gitche Gumee # 423 and Schiwa' Pew Names # 535.
Gitche Gumee was chartered on September 23, 1949, as the Order of the Arrow Lodge affiliated with the Atlantic Area Council # 331. The name of the lodge was taken by its founders from the Indian term for "the great waters" in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "SONG OF HIAWATHA". The Laughing Gull, symbolizing the coastal environment that largely encompasses the Atlantic City region, was chosen as the lodge totem.
The first Vigil recognition was held in the Lodge ceremonial grounds in 1954 when Brother Raymond Wright was conferred the honour. Wright was also the first Adviser, holding the post from 1949 to 1959. He was succeeded by the late S. Edward Bickerstaff and Dave Lutton. The first Chief was Peter Buck, who served from 1949 to 1951. In 1974, Gitche Gumee celebrated its 25th Anniversary. In 1993, the lodge merged with neighbouring lodge, Schiwa' Pew Names.
Gitche Gumee hosted 5 local Order of the Arrow gatherings. It hosted the 1953, 1960 and 1968, Area 2C Conferences and the 1974 and 1983 NE-4B Conclaves. Prior to 1973, lodges gathered at an Area Conference, which is the forerunner to the present Section Conclave.
James Ogle had the honour of serving as the first Chief of Lodge 535, Ocean County Council, which was chartered on June 18, 1958. Robert Yaeger served as first Adviser. "Schiwa' Pew Names" received its name from the traditional Lenni-Lenape language used by the Order of the Arrow, directly translated as "Blue Fish," a fish frequently found off the Ocean County coast.
Serving others from the very beginning, Lodge 535 hosted a number of Camporees for mentally and physically challenged Scouts. These were held from the early 1970's to the early 1990's. The Camporees focused on Scouting skills and teamwork.
In 1984, Schiwa' Pew Names marked a milestone in the history of Ocean County. On May 20, 1984, the Captain Joshua Huddy Historical Scout Trail was dedicated. Recognized as a national Scout trail, the Huddy Trail was established by the lodge and is still maintained the Japeechen lodge. The Lodge celebrated its 30th Anniversary in 1988.
As a “newer” lodge to the Section, Schiwa' Pew Names hosted 2 local Order of the Arrow gatherings. It hosted the 1982 and 1992 NE-4B Conclaves. In 1992, Schiwa' Pew Names celebrated its 35th anniversary by hosting the NE-4B Section conclave. This was the last conclave the lodge would host, as Ocean County Council #341 and Atlantic Area Council #331 would merge to form the Jersey Shore Council #341, later that year.
The new lodge, Japeechen, would also receive the number 341. Given the many scenic rivers that flow through the new council, the youth members of the infant lodge chose "Japeechen" as their name. Translated from Lenni-Lenape, the name means "along the bank." An Osprey (commonly referred to as a "sea eagle"), arrow in Claws and flying over the Atlantic Ocean with rising sun in the background was chosen as their symbol. Matthew Simmons was elected as the first Chief, while Richard Dempsey served as the first Adviser.
Japeechen Lodge Website
Jersey Shore Council Website
Lenapehoking Lodge 9 (Northern New Jersey Council)
Lenapehoking Lodge IX is The Order of the Arrow Lodge of Northern New Jersey Council. The totem is the Spirit of the Lenape, and the translation of the name is "Home of the Lenape." IX was formed in 1999 upon the merger of Mantowagan 14 (Hudson Liberty), Meechgalane 178 (Essex), Oratam 286 (Bergen), and Aquaninoncke 359 (Passaic Valley). Although four lodges made up Lenapehoking Lodge IX, its foundation goes back all the way to 1921 with Pamrapaugh 14, the ninth lodge organized that met at the Grand Lodge Organization meeting on October 7, 1921. However, a clerical error showed the number 9 given to Cowaw and Pamrapaugh settled on the number 14. In 1916, Jersey City Council was the first council chartered by the US Congress, and has roots within this council. Also, founder Carroll Edson formed Achtu 37 when he became Scout Executive of Hudson Council and sat his vigil in this lodge. Seventeen different lodges make up what is now Lenapehoking IX.
Lenapehoking Lodge Website
Northern New Jersey Council Website
Na Tsi Hi Lodge 71 (Monmouth Council)
In the late 1940s, Monmouth Council troops attended other council's summer camps where they saw Order ofthe Arrow lodges in operation, and a spark of interest was rekindled. A small group of youth and adults gathered in December 1950 in the Pine Hollow cabin at Camp Housman on the old Allaire property just one mile from where the originalOhowa lodge 71 had been founded. The Scouts had already been inducted into theOrder at other council's camps. They formed a new lodge called Na-Tasi-Hi, which meant "in the pines"-a reference to Camp Housman's location on thenorthern fringe of the Pine Barrens. The lodge's totem would be "three pinetrees" to represent the three parts of the Scout Oath and the three principles of the Order. Robert Schwab was chosen as the first Chief of Na-Tasi-Hi. Among the adults present at that first meeting was J. Townley Carr, who was Scoutmaster of Long Branch Troop 39 and who served as the first lodge adviser. The new lodge was approved by the council's executive board and received its national charter (re-using the old number 71) in early 1951.
During 1951, the spelling of the lodge's name was corrected by changing Tasi to Tsi, which is the proper spelling of that syllable in the Cherokee language, resulting in the name Na Tsi Hi. (The use of hyphens in the name was inconsistent through the following 40 years. The non-hyphenated version is the present form.)
In 1952, Na Tsi Hi bestowedits first Vigil Honor. By the mid-1950s the membership exceeded the 100 mark and was growing rapidly. A bi-monthly newsletter, Drumbeat, was published and member enthusiasm ran high. The name of the newsletter was changed to Voice of the Pines in 1970, because the new name was unique to the lodge whereas the older name was in common use. In 1957, Dance Team chairman Don Cusson and District Executive Vince Maslyn were the first two members toreceive the Vigil Honor in ceremonies conducted by our own lodge.
In 1967 the lodge constitution was changed and Dr. Carl Marchetti was appointed Lodge Adviser. A new ceremony for the annual installation of the new Chief was written by brother Robert Mayberry. Called the Gam'wing, after a comparable Lenape ceremony, it was first performed at Quail Hill Scout Reservation in 1968.
As the nation prepared forthe Bicentennial, councils were encouraged to develop historic trails so that Scouts would learn American history while developing their Scouting skills. The arrowmen of Na Tsi Hi created the Battle of Monmouth Historic Trail, formally dedicated on April 12, 1975. The Trail begins at Quail Hill Scout Reservation in Manalapan, travels through the historic countryside and the Monmouth Battlefield State Park, and ends at the battle monument in colonial Freehold.
In 1982 the lodge inaugurated the council's first Webelos Woods campout. In 1987 the lodge administered its Ordeal induction under the Elangomat system for the first time.
Since its institution, Na Tsi Hi has been recognized with the National Service Award in 2007, and the E. Urner Goodman Camping Award in 2000 and 2009. The Arrowmen of Na Tsi Hi will continue to rise to the greater challenge and carry on the tradition of Brotherhood and Cheerful Service.
Na Tsi Hi Lodge Website
Monmouth Council Website
Sakuwit Lodge 2 (Central New Jersey Council)
When compared to many other lodges in the Order of the Arrow, Sakuwit Lodge 2 is very young yet it carries on the traditions of those that are much older. When Sanhican Lodge 2 of George Washington Council and Narraticong Lodge 9 of Thomas A. Edison Council merged on September 2, 1999, Sakuwit Lodge 2 of Central New Jersey Council was born and began serving the scouts and scouters of the area by providing service to council camps, promoting scout camping and recognizing those who best follow the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
The name of Sakuwit Lodge is significant because Sakuwit literally means “from the mouth of two rivers”, symbolizing the merger of Sanhican and Narraticong as well as the fact that a great deal of the lodge is located between the Raritan and Delaware Rivers. The lodge totem, a raccoon named Rockwell, is a fitting symbol of New Jersey’s camping traditions. The lodge number, “2”, stands out as a reminder to all of the rich traditions of the Order of the Arrow in the area, as well as that with all of the mergers of the years Sakuwit Lodge is truly the second oldest Lodge in the United States.
Since the lodge’s inception, it has hosted over thirty events and contributed service to many more. Presently, Sakuwit Lodge holds three annual service weekends, two in the spring and one in the fall. Assistance is also provided at Cub-Parent weekends, council camporees, the council program launch and many other events. Activities like the Trade-O-Ree and performances by the Gold Feather Dance Teams also help both the lodge and the council. Over the past few years, Sakuwit Lodge has also donated thousands of dollars for council projects at Kittatiny Mountain Scout Reservation and Yards Creek Scout Reservation.
Sakuwit Lodge Website
Central New Jersey Council Website
Woapalanne Lodge 43 (Patriots' Path Council)
In the year 1999, the Boy Scouts of America, in an effort to help a number of councils reorganize, oversaw a number of council merges. During the year 2000, the Morris-Sussex Area Council (based in Denville, NJ) and the Watchung Area Council (based in Mountainside, NJ) underwent such a merger. The two merged councils formed the Patriots' Path Council - now based out of Florham Park, NJ. As a result, during the year 2000, there were merger meetings between the two lodges (Allemakewink #54 and Miquin #68). The name decided on was "Woapalanne #43", roughly translating to "eagle". The merger committee decided that the lodge color would be green, and that the totem would be an eagle with outlined feathers. In the spring of 2001, the lodge held its first Fellowship Day. Also, Peter Keays, the Lodge's first chief, was elected to be NE-2B Section Chief in that same year. In 2002, Woapalanne participated in its first NOAC at Indiana University. Woapalanne was one of only two lodges in the Northeast Region and one of only eight in the country to earn the E. Urner Goodman Camping Award. In 2003, Woapalanne held its first ever section conclave for Section NE-2B at Mt. Allamuchy Scout Reservation. The year 2006 was a big year for the lodge. On January 1, 2006, the lodge celebrated its 5th Anniversary in existence. At the NE-2B Section Conclave, our immediate Past Lodge Chief, Joe Maugeri, was voted in as the Section Vice Chief, the second lodge member to hold a section position. In the summer of 2006, a Woapalanne contingent traveled to NOAC, this time going to Michigan State University for NOAC 2006. In 2007, Joe Maugeri was elected Section Chief and Casey O'Connor was elected Section Secretary for NE-2B!. In 2008 Past Lodge Chief, Bob DeMaria was elected Section Vice Chief and lodge chief, John-Paul Couce was elected Section Secretary . His predecessor would be Frank Caccavale who held office from 2009-2012 for both NE-7A and NE-5A. Woapalanne attended the next NOAC in 2009 and also attained the status of Quailty Lodge. Woapalanne sent many brothers to the 2010 National Scout Jamboree at Fort AP Hill to celebrate the 100th Anniverary of Scouting. In 2011, Bill San Filippo was elected Section Chief of NE-5A and the lodge also earned the status of Quality Lodge.
Woapalanne Lodge Website
Patriots' Path Council Website
Yokahu Lodge 506 (Puerto Rico Council)
Yokahu Lodge was founded in 1954, after a group of local Scouts witnessed an OA indian dance at the 1953 National Jamboree. Luis Matías Ferrer, a legendary local scouter, persuaded the Council Advancement Commitee to approve the adoption of the Order of the Arrow in Puerto Rico. Letters were sent to Scoutmasters asking to select one Scout per troop to attend the first Ordeal, held at Camp Guajataka. The first Ordeal Master was Dr. Frank H. Wadsworth, the only OA member in the island, being inducted as a youth in the United States. Soon after the lodge established a constitution and service program to benefit the local council. The first Brotherhood Ceremony was held at the Río Piedras Agricultural Experimental Station in 1955 and the first Vigil Honor was conferred to four Arrowmen at Camp Guajataka in 1957. Yokahu Lodge totem is the Cemí, a crop and fertility deity represented in a three point stone idol. Yokahu Lodge name is derived from "Yukahú Bagua Maraocotí- Lord of Cassava With No Beginning Or End" the main god in Taíno indian religion. The lodge has eight chapters who perform cheerful service to Scouting, Camp Guajataka and local communities. Yokahu Lodge Chief is Angel Carrillo, Lodge Adviser is Daniel O. Rendón and Lodge Staff Adviser is Daniel Muñoz.
Puerto Rico Council Website